Friday, April 25, 2008

Sweet Victory Is Ours At Last

After much nagging, pleading, and on-my-knees begging, my long suffering husband agreed to coach Thing 2's Dizzy Dean baseball team this year. He's a novice at the whole coaching gig but he reluctantly agreed to coach a team of 12 boys, 7- and 8-year-olds with lots, some or no experience at all in the game of baseball. We have two boys (my son and one other) who have been on the league's All Star team two years running...then we have one boy who had to be taught to swing a bat - he had never held one in his little hands. So believe me when I say we have a mixed bag of sporting talent.

It's been a long season - we're halfway through and we've lost every single game. Every game. We have been known as the only team in the league that has NOT won a game. Very embarrassing. But we have seen progress in the boys and the gaps in the scores have lessened each week...until last night when the goddesses smiled on us and the tides turned for our little Bad News Bears.

I got there late - came in at the middle of the first inning and I looked at the scoreboard which said 7 to 0. I thought, hmmm...guess we're 0. We have a 7 run limit and I noticed that our team was in the field so it hit me full on that WE had 7...we had been at bat already and had actually achieved our run limit! Holy cow! A first! I watched as our team produced the "three up, three down, nobody gets around" cheer that we half-heartedly chant from the stands...and we entered the 2nd inning with a 7-0 score.

Lo and behold - we achieve our run limit again. It was magical. And we head into the third inning with an unbelievable score of 14 - 0. It was sooooo hard not to start celebrating.

When the game ended, we were the victors - 19 to 7...and the best part about it - the team we beat was undefeated! We enjoyed a few minutes of celebration as each little player pinned his gold star to his cap to represent our victory.

And it's official...I definitely like winning much more than losing!

No comments: