Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Catch up

I hate playing catch up. I've had to do it a lot this summer (summer? THAT is a laugh - it seems like summer was a long weekend and that's it!)



I've neglected this blog - I think I offered the phrase to Julianne of "bloglect" which basically means failing to blog for seven or more days in a row. I've done that to the third power, I believe!



Anyway, to recap - Thing 2's All Star team swept Districts undefeated...then we hit the state tournament and fell short - REAL short - of our goal of being state champs for the third year in a row. We had a strong start but ended up third in state. Boo hissss...but the consolation prize to me was we would NOT be required to go to the World Series in Southaven, MS. Yeah!!!!



Or so I thought.



A parent meeting was held to discuss the World Series - our team earned an automatic bid because we were the defending state champs. I was the lone opposer who said we didn't need to take a 3rd place team all the way to Mississippi. Eighteen dirty looks, several scowls and some not so nice comments later, it was decided we would pack our bags and head to the World Series. It was a great trip which Thing 2 and I made by ourselves (hubby started a new job and Thing 1 had football practice with the varsity team -oooohhhh, ahhhh). There were 64 teams in our age group - we placed FOURTH! Unbelievable, I know. We even ended up facing our state's champion and runner-up and we beat both! It was an incredible six days in Southaven.

Thing 2 and I pulled into our driveway at 1 AM on Thursday morning after our last game Wednesday night, and I was immediately faced with last minute details for my high school class's 25th reunion scheduled for the weekend...which I planned and organized. It was a three-day event and it was loads of fun! My college roommate came in from Colorado, one classmate flew in from Japan...we drank, we danced, and we enjoyed ourselves immensely.

The very next week - both kids started school! Thing 1 is now a freshman in high school (eeek! That hurts to type) and Thing 2 is now in 3rd grade. Football is in full swing for Thing 1 - the high school jamboree is tonight in Chattanooga and he has to dress out with the varsity. He's very excited. Thing 2 is enjoying his time away from the baseball diamond (and so are we!) Work is busy, busy, busy....

And that's my stab at catch-up.

No comments: